Nature of Event: The annual Bloomsday in Melbourne’s James Joyce festival occurs between 11-16 June and comprises four main events:
- a Play, Ulysses Prestissimo, directed by Wayne Pearn – a high-octane, vaudeville-inspired comedy, an original adaptation for theatre of Ulysses;
- a Seminar, Ulysses Lento, in which Dr. Steve Carey and Mr Philip Harvey will discuss the pleasures of reading Ulysses slowly;
- and a Dinner with Entertainment at the White Rabbit Restaurant
- a Lecture: ‘Who Says Ulysses is too difficult to read: A guide for the perplexed novice reader of James Joyce’s masterpiece’ at Brighton Library (18 May)
- Ulysses Prestissimo plays nightly Wed. 11- Monday 16 June at 8pm, and also Sunday 15 June at 2.30pm;
- Seminar is 16 June only at 3.00pm;
- Dinner (with entertainment) is 16 June only, at 5.30pm-6.00- 7.30pm.
You can do all three events on Monday 16 June, but places are filling fast.
- Lecture is on Sunday 18 May at 2.00 – 4.00pm.
- PLAY: Brighton Theatre Company, Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre, Wilson St., Brighton.
- SEMINAR: Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre, Wilson St., Brighton.
- DINNER: The White Rabbit restaurant, 118 Church St., Brighton
- LECTURE: Brighton Library, Wilson St., Brighton.
Note: All venues are within easy walking distance. The White Rabbit is about 5-10 minutes walk from the Theatre/Seminar venues.
- Play: $30 full; $25 earlybird (before 31 May); health cards and student-card holders $20.
- Seminar: $20 full; $15 health and student card holders.
- Dinner: $45 for two courses.
- Lecture: $5